Monday, August 18, 2008

On my bedside table


I have been devouring the new Object magazine, titled Patterns, Prototypes and Blueprints. This is a bi-monthly mag, a frequency which appeals to me, and is always an eye-opener in terms of both Australian and International designers and makers.

Object is Sydney's leading centre for craft and design, and can be compared to Craft Victoria. Through exhibitions, education programs, publications and their esteemed retail space Collect, Object's mission is 'to play host to the best of Australian craft and design'.

This issue has me all in love with Sandra Backlund, whose work is pictured below. I am so impressed by the sculptural nature of her knitwear; she makes individual 'units' and joins them all together to form impressive shapes and silhouettes. Everything is made by her hands, and I am extremely envious of the amount of time she obviously has to create such a complete body of work.

I'm putting her in my Allstars Posse, which also includes the gobsmackingly talented Helen Amy Murray, whom I've raved on about before.

There is also a piece on Donna Marcus, an artist who uses op-shopped domestic objects (aluminium kitchenware) to create patterned geometric sculptures. I have loved her work for a while now, and it's great to see her inclusion in the show Second Lives: Remixing the Ordinary, at the Museum of Arts and Design in New York, Sept 2008 to April 2009.

No comments: