Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Degrees of Difficulty

So everybody is crocheting now, it's so easy, so quick, it's decorative without being too difficult, you can make such a variety of work, from flat fabrics to three dimensional motifs - what's not to love?

Well, I'll tell you now, a badly written pattern is the absolute pits. There I was thinking that I could casually whip up a crocheted dress for Hazie Dazie, when the harsh reality sunk in that I would actually have to concentrate, deciphering the 1970's Golden Hands instructions for what the heck I was meant to be doing.



I started this dress a week after she was born and only just finished - 3 months, ouch!

So what was so hard? For starters, the dress is worked in vertical rows, increasing in stitch height to the hem for fullness, the sleeves are worked as part of the body with seams closed at the end, the stripes add to the mayhem of the pattern and - it all got a bit crazy. It was not a relaxing breezy project, it was more like a much grumbled about complex homework assignment. Blah.

Next time I would make it in one colour, to avoid the constant changing, oh who am I kidding, there will be no next time for this pattern! Once I had finished it I realised that there was meant to be a neck opening somewhere, it fits over her head now but not for long.

She models it well, and it keeps her rather cosy, even if she does look like a Tudor extra from Blackadder with those puffy sleeves, but the real insult to my hard work was watching it get covered in drool and casual baby spew.



Let it go Emma!

Listening to: Ty - Wait
Best damn UK MC in a loooong time!

2 comments:

nerines said...

Wow! My mum had that mag. I don't think she deciphered much of it either:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Emma, it looks amazing, though. So it makes it all the more special.