Sunday, February 26, 2012

Nga Waiata

I first became aware of New Zealand Maori artist Nga Waiata in a recent issue of Dumbo Feather, and from the first look at her work I was/am smitten.

Late last year I emailed Sam the following photo, with a caption indicating that I was coveting these rings. Lo and behold, the gorgeous man visited egetal and after ordering one in my size, my hand is now graced with a chunky lapis lazuli beauty!


I used to wear rings all the time, but when I took up shoemaking I had to stop, as they were getting in the way of my tools,  also getting very banged up, and often marking what I was working on. I'm sure I can remember to take this one off when I'm at the tools.

I have never been a crystal devotee, nor do I have a penchant for timber or anything brown in general, but these are supremely clever in their beautiful, minimal, natural qualities.

According to Nga's website:

Lapis Lazuli is a stone of total awareness
helps expand the intellect & intuitive aspects of ones character
facilitates clear expression of thoughts
helps you say the right thing at the right time!

Sounds like a long-overdue element of tact may creep into my world, here's hoping!


 

Nga's new pendants feature handwoven chain details, I haven't seen them in the flesh but love the use of large crystals. All crystals are sustainably mined in Brazil, and the timber is recycled Pohutakawa, machined by a master craftsman and hand-finished by Nga.




No comments: